Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Mystery of the Fool and the Vanisher

David and Ruth Ellwand have put together a very believable graphic novella with The Mystery of the Fool and the Vanisher. I received this as an ARC from Candlewick just today at the library and I finished it before we opened the doors. It is only 100 pages and is filled with photos both by the author and by the character Isaac Wilde.


Set mostly in 1889 the book follows a photographer as he documents an archeological dig. Strange things begin to happen and rocks with holes seem to play an important role. Looking through these rocks affords you a look into the world of pixies.


I love the use of photographs in the book. It's a very exciting mystery. I can't wait to hear what others have to say about it!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Well, if it was being marked out of ten, I would have to give it 20. It is stunning and imaginative, and left me a little uneasy . . .

I don't think I have ever read anything quite like it. Summed up in one word? Fantastic!