Friday, January 25, 2008

Trouble

Gary D. Schmidt is now my favorite YA author...which is so hard to say because I love so many. The first one I read by him was The Wednesday Wars which was a Newbery honor book. I plan on reading Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy soon.

Trouble was about a young New England boy named Henry who comes from a trouble-free family. Both of his siblings are super-star athletes and he is following in their footsteps in crew.

But trouble arrives at his doorstep in the form of a shocking family accident involving a Cambodian immigrant named Chay.

Henry's journey is accompanied by Black Dog who he rescues from drowning. Black Dog wreaks havoc on the famous Smith home but Henry's parents allow it because of their trauma.

I don't want to do any spoiling because the book has so many great twists and turns. All are a bit foreseeable but wonderful nonetheless. I think the book comes out in April.

On a similar note, I just found out that Gary Schmidt (who is from my area) is presenting at one of the branch libraries in my system but I will be in Florida visiting my mother on vacation. I am heartbroken that I won't get to see him but I'm sure I'll enjoy my time away!

No comments: