Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Ender's Game

The coolest gifts I've ever received have all been books. That being said, I was uber-excited when I saw that the attendees of the Edwards Luncheon in Anaheim at ALA were receiving a copy of Ender's Game by award recipient Orson Scott Card.

The lunch was great, dessert was fantastic, and the speech...well...the speech was a speech. (Sorry Mr. Card; I don't have a very long attention span).

And the book? It was great. Every once in a while I read a science fiction novel that sucks me into the world created by the author. I love it when good books can do that. Another one that pops into my mind along the same lines is A Wrinkle in Time.

Ender was a pretty cool (albeit precocious) young man. I was rooting for him all the way. I hated his enemies and (sometimes) even his loved ones. I kept wondering how the whole thing was going to get "wrapped up" near the end of the book when Ender was still just "practicing". But it was a really cool way to end. Totally unexpected.

Usually I'm not a huge sci-fi person but this book is a classic YA piece and should be read and recommended by all who serve teens.

No comments: